Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Winter water supply at the lake when the main water setup is shut down due to cold.
I needed some sort of solution for having winter water at the lake to the kitchen sink during the winter for when we visit.  We normally draw water from lake with a jet pump (as others at the lake do) during most of the year.  I will be working on doing a well soon so we can have year round water and not have to deal with the lake water.  Luckily it is a spring fed lake with multiple springs and is also tested a few times a year for water quality.  We don't drink the water but use it for most other things.  This setup now gives me hot and cold water to the kitchen sink for dishes and whatever water supply we need.  

I use a 12v RV water pump and used water grade plastic hose wrapped in foam insulation and then buried that goes down into the water.  I am not sure how it will fair during dead of winter when lake gets frozen over but I will know very soon.  That RV pump then feeds a split valve that sends cold water directly to the faucet and then feeds the hot water tank under the sink.  That is a small electric one I purchased at Home Depot many years ago and ended up replacing it after the first test because it leaked a little around the pressure release valve.  The one in the video is the new one.  Normally you need a foot valve on you water supply from the lake to keep the water from going back into the lake and breaking the prime seal in the jet pump but with this setup the RV pump is self priming and holds pressure.  So the end of that hose has a filter on it instead of a foot valve making it easier to winterize that water line when leaving.  The setup works very well.  I have a couple of Lifep04 batteries there but also large lead acid ones for the boat trolling motors so I can use those under the sink for power.  

It is really a huge difference having that water supply instead of fancy camping in the winter.  

[Image: water1.jpg][Image: water2.jpg]
[Image: water3.jpg][Image: water4.jpg]
[Image: water5.jpg][Image: water6.jpg]
[Image: water7.jpg]