Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2 year review of Vogelzang VG1820 Woodstove Insert
Purchased the Vogelzang VG1820 woodstove insert to have installed at the NH lake house after I had removed the old gas insert that was in it.  I had a company come sleeve the chimney for the stove and install the insert.  In general it has been a decent insert for use up here.  If I could have still got the one installed in my house I would have but had to get this one instead.  The company support was very good and I was able to get a new blower motor sent out when they sent new door hinge pins.  The heater blower would not stay on high setting but the replacement has worked perfectly.  The door pins were a serious issue.  They would walk themselves out when opening the door and closing it over and over.  The first time it happened was a huge surprise because the door came off the top hinge while using the stove but luckily the bottom hinge was still connected.  So the door was hanging down and couldn't close.  I had to grab a fire mitten I have and the ash shovel and lift the door back into place and put the hinge pin back in all while the stove was running.  Not exactly fun.  The company did send out new replacement pins they claimed were a new design for the stove with holes for cotter pins.  Those pins were the same length as the others and did not go below the bottom of the hinge allowing cotter pins to be put in place.  So I made new pins for the stove with cotter pins and they have worked great.  In the two pictures below you can see the picture with the surround on and access door open still has their old pins in it and they are too short.  The other photo of hinges has my new pins I made for it.

The first thing I noticed when getting ready to burn off for the first time was that there was a ton of smoke and crap burning off the stove on first use.  I put the stove out and pulled out the manual to read first burn information.  They stated to do 3 burns to cure the paint and burn off remnants on stove.  First one for 250 degrees for 20 minutes and let cool, second one the same, and third one was 500 degrees and let cool.  This stove burnt off so much smoke during that burn off it was awful.  I have never had a stove that did that much.  However, it has been fine ever since and the finish has held up well.  

The other issue I ran into was the surround itself not working how it came from factory.  This was not manufactures fault but a space issue with where it was being installed.  So where the stove had to sit the surround came too far towards the front of the stove and covered the damper lever on the right side.  So I cut the material on the surround and added hinges and a knob to have an access door.  It works and looks like it was made for the surround.

Overall it has been a good stove for this location and has kept the place warm in cold weather so I can't complain.  It does its job.  The only annoying thing is that it also pings a great deal with heating up or cooling down.  Our other insert stove at home barely makes a sound once it is warm.  Considering the cost of this one was the same as the one we have at home I don't think I would buy it again and would work to find one more like the other one.  

[Image: woodstove1.jpg][Image: woodstove2.jpg]
[Image: woodstove3.jpg]
[Image: woodstove4.jpg]