Getting ARC in Korea – Immigration Guide

What is an ARC(Alien Registration Card)?

An ARC is a social security ID for the foreigners in Korea.  You must apply for it if you are planning to stay in Korea for more than 90 days after entry. It takes cruicial part of your everyday life. All foreigners must carry a passport, visa, or an ARC while in Korea. (Those under the age of 17  are exempt from this duty.) Also, you need ARC to open a bank account, get a health insurance and so much more.


What do I need?

  1. Application form
  2. Passport
  3. 1 Portrait Photo (3.5×4.5cm)
  4. Documents per Status of Stay
  5. Registration Fee (30,000 KRW)

You need certain documents according to your status of stay. Click here to find out more about it.


How do I get an ARC?

Follow these steps to apply for your registration card.

  1. Find the immigration-related office that is in your region. You can search it here. (search immigration page of
  2. Make an online reservation here to visit the immigration office. You can choose the schedule that suits you.
  3. Visit the immigration office and submit all the documents.
  4. Wait for the process and get your ARC.


Who doesn’t need ARC?

  1. Those carrying out Diplomacy(A-1), Official business(A-2), on Conventions/Agreements(A-3) visa and their family members.
  2. Those undertaking diplomatic, industrial, or other important duties for the national security, their family members, and other foreigners found to be unnecessary to register as foreigners by the Minister of Justice.
  3. Foreigners from Canada intending to stay for less than 6 months, who has following visa status.
    1.  Cultural Arts (D-1)
    2. Religious Affairs (D-6)
    3. Family Visitation (F-1)
    4. Dependent Family (F-3)
    5. Miscellaneous (G-1)


Any questions?

Visit Hi Korea website for more information.

Related Posts

Leave a comment